Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Last Week

It seems like 10 weeks has flown by, and I am already contemplating how I could have been much more efficient. A whole Trimester to yourself feels like summer, here one moment, and gone the next. On the other hand, my brother disagrees, must be the Advanced Placement exams getting to him.


My internship at Banner University Medical Center Phoenix has been quite the unique experience. I apologize for the randomness in my blog, there are just so many interesting things that I have learned.


Being at Banner and talking to its many inhabitants has given me a widened view of the hospital life and functions. Especially on the aspects of being a doctor. It seems many high school students aim to be doctors without having a full comprehension of the positions functions and nuances. I do not claim to understand what it means to be a doctor either because I am not one myself. But I have developed a newfound respect and sympathy for most doctors out there. At the same time, I feel as though I understand the thinking of Doctors and I believe my bi-annual examinations and appointments will be much more different.


In addition, I have found researchers hilarious. I mean no offense to them and instead covet a high sense of respect. Having read so many research papers and attempted writing my own, I now have a greater understanding of the struggle behind them. For a personal anecdote, I laughed at a group of researchers while working at the admitting department at Mayo. I overheard their discussion on the latest research, articles, and journals and couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction that I understood what they were talking about. I am sure this hubris will come back to haunt me someday.


A big thanks to the many people at Banner who allowed me to shadow their departments and explained to me their job function.


Thanks to :
Dr. Woods and the rest of Intravenous Radiology
Dr. Deng, Dr. Hanny, Ms. Mickie and the rest of Radiation Oncology
Al, Dave,  Dr. Sidarius, Kelly, Troy, Fernando, Derrick, Cherisse, Susan
And an extra big thanks to Mr. McCormick, my on-site mentor, for paving the path for these many opportunities.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your internship was an extremely valuable and memorable experience! After 10 weeks of observational work, do you see yourself becoming a radiologist one day? I can't wait to hear more about your time at Banner at your presentation!

    ReplyDelete