Monday, January 19, 2015

Well Met!

Greetings!

And welcome to this small island on the Internet. My name is Phillip Yang, and I'm a senior at BASIS Scottsdale. As a senior about to spread my butterfly wings and head off into the world, I am given the opportunity to pursue a research project in the in a field of interest. Basis Scottsdale allows students to take off the third trimester in their senior year to obtain experience in the professional field and get a feel of what a college research paper should be. This blog will tell the tale of my daily adventures as a high school intern. 

Previously on The Adventures of Phillip Yang....

Everybody likes new things : toys, phones, medicine. New devices and gadgets are entering the market every month and it is hard to stay up to date. New products also mean new sources of radiation. Technological advances that cause increased radiation are not limited to only consumer products. Medical Imaging also causes large amounts of radiation dosage. Although seemingly minuscule, these sources may continue to add up and influence our lifestyle. Large problems tend to stem from multiple small issues that grow out of hand. 

I plan on analyzing the possibilities of side effects of radiation through advanced probability. I will most likely have to learn more about flux and topological spaces. My internship will be at Arizona's Good Sam Hospital, where I will be working in the Nuclear Medicine Department to understand more about radiation and its effects on the body. 

I will begin my internship in early February and will begin posting weekly blog posts once it begins. 

Next time on The Adventures of Phillip Yang... (Thanks for reading!)

3 comments:

  1. It is great to see that your project targets the issue of harmful effects of radiation because in today's society, everyone is exposed to radiation on a daily basis. I can't wait for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phillip! I love this project. I am one of those people who is super paranoid about this, I don't even sleep with my phone on because I am afraid of the damage it may do. Of course, I do not have the scientific research to back this up so I am really excited to discover what you are going to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very important topic to research and radiation affects so many people. I'm glad you are looking into this and I can't wait to see what you find in your research.

    ReplyDelete